How many cops does it take to stop a piano?

March 19, 2018 by norman lebrecht

London, Euston:

1. Anmarie says:

Watch out, Trifonov and Babayan!

2. Elizabeth Owen says:

Ha, ha, so glad they’ve got nothing else to do. By the way that is not Euston it’s St. Pancras International.

3. RW2013 says:

And how many obligatory iphone zombies to film it?

1. YoYo Mama says:

My thoughts, exactly!
      I perform in public and people don’t even think twice about recording it, filming it. So far, nothing has turned up on YouTube that I know about. And if you stop them or make them ask permission, it’s considered mean and negative. Honestly.

1. Terence says:

Better than one story I was told:
        amateur pianist performing on a street piano, noticed someone unknown to him passing the hat around; when he finished playing said person had disappeared!

2. Robert Holmén says:

When you’re in public, you’ve given permission.

Especially when you are doing something as “Hey, look at me!” as a musical performance. It isn’t as if you were trying to not be noticed.

4. doremi says:

A pity it is not musical!!!
    Noise:ok

1. SVM says:

I walk through St Pancras quite regularly; compared with the usual standard (very low — so low that the kids who just bash random keys sound better) of playing on these instruments, the playing in the video is actually quite reasonable.

Once, I heard someone play an excerpt from of one of the Brahms concerti — I paused briefly to listen, but, alas, the performer soon switched to a more populist, upbeat work. Was it because he felt under pressure to “entertain”, or because he was simply cycling through different fragments?

5. Rob says:

What a racket!

1. V.Lind says:

Oh, lighten up. You have not paid a fortune to hear a classical concert. Two police officers offered a light approach to the day — shared a little joy. You’re as bad as DiDonato’s judge. It’s a railway station and a couple of bobbies brightened a few dull minutes.

1. Fritz Curzon says:

Fun- but a racket nevertheless 🙂 or vice versa

6. Cyril Blair says:

This is all very cheerful, but in the meantime how many thieves are shoplifting in the surrounding stores and terrorists placing bombs behind them…hopefully they were on break.

1. Antonia says:

There’s a guy goes around playing pianos in the streets who dresses as a construction worker and other various assorted uniformed people for the publicity of it. It’s all a spoof. I wonder if this is the case here, as well?

7. Frankie says:

Thank you, Norman! Brought a smile to my face which will last much of the day!

8. Barbara says:

Some of these comments are very mean-spirited.

1. Peter says:

Yup. You’ve come to the right place.