Drew McManus has been doing his annual trawl through orchestral accountsto see who’s getting paid what. But fiscal 2017/18 was a weird year in which the really big spenders – New York, LA Phil and San Fran – had no CEO in place, or only for part of the season.
That meant only one orchestra was paying its boss more than a million bucks.
Now who was that? Any why is he about to retire when he’s finally broken into big money?
1. Boston Symphony: $1,050,596
2. Philadelphia Orchestra: $770,708
3. Cleveland Orchestra: $578,617
4. Chicago Symphony: $537,541
5. Seattle Symphony: $484,982
6. Detroit Symphony: $467,857
7. Pittsburgh Symphony: $431,015
8. Saint Louis Symphony: $427,176
9. Utah Symphony : $407,519
10. Minnesota Orchestra: $383,681
More detail on Drew’s site here.
Join us tomorrow for the music directors pay chart. No shrinkage there.