Perlman replaces Fleming in Baltimore gala fiasco

Perlman replaces Fleming in Baltimore gala fiasco

main

norman lebrecht

July 22, 2019

The Baltimore Symphony, which has locked out its musicians, today cancelled its September gala.

The event was previously billed as follows:

Recipients are invited to purchase tickets at Diamond, Emerald, Platinum, Gold, or Silver Level, ranging from $50,000 (table for 20) to $500 (person). ‘The courtesy of your reply is requested by Monday, August 26, 2019. For your money, you get valet parking, creative food stations and cocktails, VIP dessert reception—and yes, a concert.’

Now the BSO says:  Against the backdrop of ongoing orchestra contract negotiations (sic), the BSO determined that the spring was a more appropriate time to host this event. 

More appropriate? Well Renee Fleming is unavailable, so they have replaced her with Itzhak Perlman.

“We are grateful to our many individual and corporate donors who have already pledged their support for this year’s Gala, and who care deeply for our institution and our musicians,” said BSO President and CEO Peter Kjome.  “Just as these generous supporters are committed to the Orchestra’s success, we are committed to presenting an outstanding Gala.”  Kjome continued, “We are thrilled that the world-renowned Itzhak Perlman will be the featured artist for the Gala and look forward to welcoming Renée Fleming at a future date. We also look forward to expressing our gratitude to our community by launching our new season with free concerts featuring our extraordinary musicians.”

Hmmm.

Our extraordinary musicians whom we have locked out and no longer pay.

 

 

Comments

comment_count comments
Oldest
Newest
Oldest
Top rated

Comment as a guest:

MOST READ TODAY: