1,000 Rosenkavaliers in Vienna

Counting all available fingers and toes, the Vienna Opera reckons its coming performance of Richard Strauss’s masterpiece on March 21 will be the 1,000th in its history.

Adrianne Pieczonka will sing the Marschallin, Peter Rose is Ochs, Stephanie Houtzeel plays Octavian, Chen Reiss is Sophie and Markus Eiche Faninal. Adam Fischer conducts.

The opera’s Austrian premiere was given by the company on April 8, 1911 with Marie Gutheil-Schoder as Octavian and Richard Mayr as Baron Ochs. Ernst von Schuch conducted.

• Wow! I saw a production in Vienna on New Year’s Eve 1979 before catching the Chopin express to Poland, So wish I had kept a program copy.

• Mustafa Kandan says:

One should savour this traditional production while it lasts. I am sure the next production will be a Regietheater version.

• Patrick says:

I saw it twice in Fall 1978. Does anyone else have a memory of the horn players setting their instruments on the edge of the stage?

• marcellous says:

Ambiguity alert: does new years eve 1979 mean the end of 1979 or the end of 1978? Just asking.

• Bill says:

Surely we agree that Christmas Day 1979 is Dec. 25, 1979, right? Why should New Year’s Eve be treated differently? New Year’s Eve is Dec. 31. If you say New Year’s Eve 1979 and mean anything other than Dec. 31, 1979, you’re the one at fault.

• ThrownOutOfTheKremlinForSinging says:

My favorite Baron Ochs is Aage Haugland. Watch some of this scene, and look at the twinkle in his eyes and hear how he puts it into his voice (sorry about the ad):

• Straussian says: