The Candide overture as never blown before

This new version for two melodicas is being circulated by Jamie Bernstein, the composer’s daughter.

It’s weirdly effective in an ear-wormish kind of way.

• Analeck Kram-Hammerbauer says:

How can this man be Bernstein’s daughter?

• Phil B says:

Because that’s her name, duh!

• Phil B says:

Sorry, didn’t check the pic first…doesn’t say she’s one of the players.

• Analeck Kram-Hammerbauer says:

The only name I read in this news is a certain Jamie. The only person I see a happy man. Then you tell me Jamie is the name of the daughter and the man playing melodica is not Jamie. Jeez, I am too stupid to not to misunderstand.

Actually, the only scenario I could imagine was: Bernstein’s daughter is a transgender? Nothing is impossible nowadays …

• Robert Fitzpatrick says:

I have theory: either they are twins or its same guy playing both parts with overdubbing and video editing. I see a slight division in the center of the picture. Please comment if you think I have been drinking too much cheap French vino.

Of course everyone has heard this excerpt (followed by another group playing Rhapsody in Blue)

PS: Bernstein’s daughter is name Jamie and she obviously provided the video to Norman and is not one of the performers, IMHO.

• eric (nyc) says:

I think your theory is right. I didn’t notice it at first, but after you mentioned it, I can see a clear division in the center. Note the discontinuity in the pattern of the wood grain on the table.

• M2N2K says:

Obviously, Bernstein’s daughter is not performing here, but just circulating, as NL stated. Here is a little bit of Le Sacre – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIq543Q10UM .

• Cyril Blair says:

If they were playing this on a street corner I’d definitely toss a dollar in their bucket.

• Wurtfangler says:

He isn’t one half of ‘The Melodica Men’ – they have done a great West Side Story medley too:

• Wurtfangler says:

*he is – not he isn’t!

• GAB says:

Caution! This guy’s videos are addicting- he’s such a superb musician who makes it all look so easy.

• >