Martha Argerich is sick with flu. Who’s subbing?

Denis Kozhukhin replaces her tomorrow at the Philharmonie Berlin in duets with Gidon Kremer.

The Berlin Philharmonic, which is in Baden-Baden, is rushing in young Igor Levit for Sunday’s Schumann concerto… his debut with the orchestra and the major-league festival circuit. Riccardo Chailly conducts.

igor levitt

UPDATE: Not far for Igor to go:  he’s currently teaching at Heidelberg Spring Festival’s Chamber Music Academy.

• Bob Thomas says:

Did either organization offer refunds to folks who bought tickets specifically to hear Argerich?

• Ignacio Martínez-Ybor says:

Those who have tickets should hold on to them. They are in for a treat as Igor Levit is a magnificent pianist, hardly known.

• Sam says:

I heard Levit in his debut at Vienna’s Musikverein last year as a late replacement for an indisposed Pollini.
      Admittedly these were not ideal conditions – Levit flew in hours before the performance – and regrettably he made a poor impression.

• anon says:

I returned my Musikverein tickets when they subbed Levit for Pollini last summer. For him to sub for Argerich is even worse. Wildly different pianists.

• Annette says:

The Staatsoper offered a refund, don’t know about the Philharmonic.

• Andrey says:

In my professional opinion Igor Levit is on of the best pianists in his generation I worked together. I do trust in his big future. Last year he performed with my orchestra in Wiener Musikverein, and it was very good concert indeed.
      Toi-Toi-Toi Igor for your debut with phantastic BPH under the baton of such great Maestro as Riccardo Chailly!

• Bang Bang says:

Take it or Levit.

• Nick says:

As far as the concerto is concerned, unless the Philharmonie had increased prices specifically for Ms. Argerich’s performance, I cannot understand why a refund would be offered. I assume that like almost all performing arts organisations there will be a disclaimer on all the marketing materials to the effect that

“programmes and artists are correct at the time of publication but may be subject to unavoidable change.”

• >