Schools cancels opera trip ‘because of soldiers in Brussels streets’

Schools cancels opera trip ‘because of soldiers in Brussels streets’


norman lebrecht

January 19, 2015

A Belgian school withdrew today from a planned visit to La Monnaie. Its headmaster said: ‘There are soldiers in the streets, and armed police.’

Security has been tightened since the smashing of an Islamist cell last week in Verviers. But does that mean cultural education has to stop?

Read here (en francais).

la monnaie


  • william osborne says:

    Terrorists must love it when they can cause so much over-reaction. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday that the “Islamization” of Western Europe is a factor in Israel’s push to expand trade with Asia.

    Through the ridiculous claim that Europe is being Islamized, Netanyahu puts himself in league with Pegida, a neo-Nazi organization that has organized massive protests in Germany over the last several weeks to oppose exactly the same paranoid phantom: the Islamization of Europe. The ironies of Pegida and Netanyahu being bedfellows are unspeakable.

    • John Borstlap says:

      The FACT is that most muslems in Europe are in a thorough process of Europeanization. Maybe 95%. The remaining 5% feeds paranoia and creates havoc, and severe problems of identity for the 95%.

  • Has been says:

    William Osborne, A very unwise post, putting Netanyahu in the same sentence as Pegida. Enough said !

  • frederic says:

    1. “Osborne” is indeed rather ignorant here. Please read part of of mr winston’s churchill’s take on islam in 1899 (the river war first edition), a prophet indeed and the right analyses of this religion and its impact on human beings/kind and yes idiot: europe is being islamized at a very steady pace with porc now taken away from menus in official schools amongst many others….Again read Churchill’s erudite speech on islam and its followers
    2. French language sources are not always reliable sources (if ever) on what’s going on in “Belgium” (but that has been an eternal problem with the Brits, they still don’t know that more than half of the population speaks Dutch)…anyway the headmaster stayed away out of brussels because of the present danger threat set out by the government !!!!! I was attacked twice in Brussels during daylight, guess by whom?

  • Tim Walton says:

    What a stupid gutless Headmaster. He should be ashamed of himself

    • John Borstlap says:

      I would not easily expose children to what looks like a war situation, with soldiers around with big guns in their arms, looking around for possible violent attacks.

  • william osborne says:

    It’s not the first time Europeans have had a hallucinogenic fear of a religion. Islamophobia is the flip side of Antisemitism.