Just in: Young Brit, 25, wins Salzburg baton award

August 6, 2017 by norman lebrecht

The Nestlé and Salzburg Festival Young Conductors Award was won today by Kerem Hasan from Great Britain.

He has the necessary self-confidence, he knows what he wants and he has the talent required – in other words, the best prerequisites for an international career,’ said Jury Chairman Dennis Russell Davies.

Keren wins € 15,000 and a Salzburg Festival concert at the Felsenreitschule in August 2018.

Past winners are  Aziz Shokhakimov (2016), Lorenzo Viotti (2015), Maxime Pascal (2014), Ben Gernon (2013), Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla (2012), Ainārs Rubikis (2011) and David Afkham (2010).

This is a big one.

1. Ross says:

“He has the necessary self-confidence, he knows what he wants and he has the talent required – in other words, the best prerequisites for an international career,” said Jury Chairman Dennis Russell Davies.

And he has the new hairstyle which is in fashion for conductors.

1. John says:

Must have been the hair style.

What’s the ‘in’ hairstyle for female conductors?

1. Cyril Blair says:

It doesn’t matter, as long as they find their “inner man.”

2. Joe says:

What do conducting juries look for? I was conducted by Kerem about 18 months ago and he was incredibly uninspiring. I think they can often be guided by PR teams from the big agencies, because this description is not the description my colleagues and I would give to this ‘maestro’.

1. ViolaM says:

Having also played for him recently I’d second this, but I’d also add that he’s competent. But then DRD has never inspired me either, so maybe it’s a matter of taste.

2. Halldor says:

Yeah, Marc-Andre Dalbavie, Brian McMaster, Dennis Russell Davies…what do they know?

1. Palestrina says:

Who?

3. He has the right profile and background. Congrat!

4. Whatevs says:

Though, I wasn’t too impressed by what little I saw on YouTube (who knows, maybe he is great?), I do feel that conductors are more or less manufactured these days for mass consumption.