Breaking: Daniel Barenboim resigns in Berlin

Breaking: Daniel Barenboim resigns in Berlin

News

norman lebrecht

January 06, 2023

The 80-year old Barenboim, stricken with a neurological condition, said this morning that he could not fulfil the functions of music director at the Staatsoper under den Linden.

‘Unfortunately, my health has deteriorated significantly in the last year. I can no longer provide the performance that is rightly demanded of a general music director. Therefore, I ask for your understanding that I will give up this activity on January 31, 2023, he said.

Senator for Culture Lederer called Barenboim ‘one of the most remarkable personalities working in Berlin.

Barenboim has been in charge of the state opera since 1992.

He is due to conduct the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra in a toned-down programme this weekend.

UUPDATE: How Barenboim built Berlin

Comments

comment_count comments
Oldest
Newest
Oldest
Top rated

Comment as a guest:

MOST READ TODAY: