Flute master is taken by Covid

Flute master is taken by Covid

main

norman lebrecht

April 11, 2021

The death is reported of Sandy Drelinger, founder of the Drelinger Headjoint Company in New York.

Sandy explained not long ago: ‘As a master headjoint maker, I learn a lot from watching a flutists lips and facial formation while they play, giving me a more total picture of what to give then in a headjoint which will agree with the path they are on already.’

Associates in the flute world say that he died of Covid-19.

Comments

• Steven says:

He goes way back. Many of the people in the flute world will be saddened by this. Even if they didn’t purchase one of his headjoints, all us veterans remember him at the all the NFA flute conventions. RIP

• Janese Sampson says:

I am so saddened to hear about the death of Sandy D. He and I have been friends for about 40 years and I have 2 of his headjoints. He was such a dear and sooo funny. He will be missed. Janese Sampson, Maryland.

• Patricia Warren says:

I have been playing on one of his early head joints for several years (I bought it second-hand so it was not built for me specifically) and have loved it. RIP, Mr. Drelinger.

• BRUCEB says:

A widely known and respected figure in the flute world. Tributes are pouring in on my private flute-related ListServ.

• David Jay Drelinger says:

He was my Uncle. He did not die of Covid. He was vaccinated months prior to experiencing the heart issues that took him.

• Max Drelinger says:

I don’t know where David got this idea that he did not die of covid, but he did in fact die of covid. I also don’t know why you are publicly commenting on his cause of death, but it is mildly disturbing and also painful for me as his son.

I do very much appreciate the others condolences.

• Ronald Lively says:

So sorry to haver heard about your dad. A powerful force within the flute community. Will the Drelinger Company continue on and support his products already on the market?

• Janese Sampson says:

So sorry for your loss. He was an all around good guy and will be missed.