The musicians have responded to the Met’s statement on Black Lives Matter with these specific demands:
• The Opera must commit to hiring composers and conductors of color in the operatic and symphonic seasons each year.
• The Opera must commit to hiring soloists of color during each Carnegie Hall season.
• The Opera must commit to hiring people of color in upper administration.
• The Opera must adjust its mission to include serving and engaging communities of color.
• The Opera must be inclusive in its engagement with its local community.
• The Opera must commit to an external review of the organization that focuses on issues of EDIB, including concerns regarding equity in employee compensation.
• The Opera must collaborate with the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra Committee on diversity and inclusion issues.
• The Opera must play a leadership role in encouraging systemic change with regards to EDIB at Lincoln Center.