International String Competition will go ahead – onlinemain
Unable to perform in person, semi-finalists in the Irving M. Klein International String Competition will compete on June 6 – 7, 2020 on the contest’s YouTube channel.
The jury – of Richard Aaron, Christopher Costanza, Glenn Dicterow, Karen Dreyfus, Robert Gibson, Ian Swensen and Barbara Day Turner – will confer remotely.
This could be a new model for clean competitions.
The eight semifinalists are:
· KEONI BOLDING, viola; age 21, from Philadelphia PA; attends Juilliard School; student of Hsin-Yun Huang and Cynthia Phelps.
· GABRIELLE DESPRÉS, violin; age 19, from Alberta Canada; attends Juilliard School; student of Masao Kawasaki and Joseph Lin.
· CAROLINE DURHAM, violin; age 19, from Holladay UT; attends Columbia University/ Juilliard School joint program; student of Masao Kawasaki.
· MASHA LAKISOVA, violin; age 18, from Vernon Hills IL; studies at Juilliard School’s Pre-College Division; student of Li Lin and Itzhak Perlman.
· ENRIQUE RODRIGUES, violin; age 18, From Fairlawn, Canada; studies at Juilliard School’s Pre-College Division; student of I-Hao Lee.
· DONGYOUNG (JAKE) SHIM, violin; age 18, from Gyeonggi-do, South Korea; attends New England Conservatory; student of Donald Weilerstein.
· JIAXUN (CAROLINE) YAO, cello; age 18, from Qingdao, China; attends Juilliard School’s Pre-College Division; student of Richard Aaron and Sieun Lin.
· DAVIS YOU, cello; age 18, from Palo Alto CA; attends Palo Alto High School; student of Jonathan Koh. (ages as of June 6, 2020)
The Irving M. Klein International String Competition, produced by the California Music Center, is open to musicians between ages 15 and 23.