Two concertmasters take matters in hand

Unable to lead their orchestras, the concertmasters of Montreal and Toronto got together virtually across Canada’s language barrier to pay a duet of hope.

• Jeffrey Biegel says:

This is so very beautiful. Bless you guys and stay safe and well.

• Petros Linardos says:

Beautiful. Thank you so much.

• David K. Nelson says:

How nice. The Leclair duos are tricky enough to play with this kind of subtlety when your counterpart is sitting right there in person.

• Thank you so much, Andrew and Jonathan! Music will carry you and us through this pandemic. Hope to hear you both live soon! Take best care!

• John Casey says:

It’s gorgeous. What platform did they use to synchronize their playing?

• Jay says:

Once you pass censorship your comment
    may be published

• Robert Rÿker says:

Bravo, bravo, bravo, Andrew and Jonathan!
    I think yours is a wonderful gesture, as well as a splendid example of great music making. I have been attempting to settle a date for Andrew to play with us in Tokyo, as we have done for Richard. I now realise I want to do the same thing for Jonathan, if he is willing — once the corona-crisis has been tamed and a civilisation restored to a reasonable balance.
    I wish you all the earliest possible resumption of regular concerts! Let us not remain silent.
    – Robert

• Fiddlist says:

How much did they pay?

• Edgar Self says:

Dreamy, crazy-beautiful, fiery, and valiant gallantry. A grand gesture. Perlman-Zukerman , the Oistrakhs, Heifetz/Primrose, and young Ilya Gringolts with Alexandr Bulov have variously recorded Leclair, Alard, Wieniawski, Moszkowski, and Mozart duos for two violins or violin/viola. Each better than the other, lvice-versa, or the reverse of the opposite.

Beethoven’s “Eyeglass” Duo for viola/cello and Bach’s double-violin concerto are of this company. Bach’s Vier Duetten, inventions and sinfonias lend themselves to similar transcription.

• Hest says:

‘before we can congregate again” i am robot. I am robot nerd. Music hold good. But human speak is not.

• Elizabeth Purswell says:

I ask as John Casey did. How to sync up video. I’m a pianist and would like to play with my mom without worrying about infection. It was lovely. Thanks.

• Edgar Self says:

Also telemann’s canonic sonatas for two flutesor alto recordersBlockfloete. J. S Bach also has a winning sonata in E-flat for solo flute and harpsichord among others, andI think one for for two flutes.

• Judy says:

Thank you both so much. The Pandemic has brought us fear and concern but also touching gestures from all parts of the country to bring g us together. Your music gives us hope for the future. Please come back. Merci!

• >