London’s #1 flute shop shuts after accountant is jailed

Sad message from Top Wind London:

NOTICE

It is with sadness that we have closed the doors at Top Wind for the last time after nearly thirty years in business. It has been a difficult decision but a number of factors have brought us to this point.

In 2003 we hired an accountant who carried out all our accounting needs until 2015 and we assumed he was operating within the rules laid out by HMRC. Sadly, we were informed in 2015 that he was imprisoned for malpractice and since that time HMRC has investigated all of his 7500 clients to reclaim all unpaid taxes. This has caused a devastating effect on many of us who are victims of his crime.

Those of you who wishing to continue having repairs carried out by Matt Ziemann will be pleased to know he will still be available for 5 days a week carrying out services, repairs and overhauls. To book your appointment ring him directly on 07973 142488.

Our administrative team will be in touch with you about any outstanding matters.

Thank you to our wonderful staff both past and present and to all our customers and suppliers throughout the World.

• Richard Douglas says:

Really sorry to hear this awful news a wonderful shop with a great team of people.

• Jennifer Stinton says:

Such a terrible shame. This was a wonderful shop that served the flute community with great service. I will particularly miss dropping in to see Andy and Patrick, the co-owners.

• Esther Cavett says:

It’s by Waterloo isn’t it ? I’m not a flute player but enjoyed looking round once. I suppose it’s important for companies to rotate their accountants every so often. It’s sad news

• prof flute says:

Lucky you people who have positive experiences. I found out that there were crooks in there a long time ago.

• Prof Adrian Brett says:

No one here has suggested there was anyone ‘in house’ who was a crook…and, if you are indeed a ‘prof flute’ , you should be ashamed to disseminate such a calumny….which I politely suggest could make you liable for litigation under the libel laws of the UK.
      ADRIAN BRETT (a real ‘prof flute’)

• Mark in Mayenne says:

A curious comment that doesn’t reflect my experience with these guys, who I have known for all the time they have been in business. I have however overheard them giving some very plain talking to people who have unwisely bought cheap flutes of poor quality and who wanted TopWind to put things right. Perhaps prof flute is a disgruntled one of these?

• David Howell says:

So very sad – no fault of Top Wind – a lovely shop

• ThrownOutOfTheKremlinForSinging says:

An ill wind blows no one any good.

• Sara E. says:

Takes after the us empire. Hustlers and hucksters

• Rampant Rampals says:

Flaunting flautist.

• Carolyn Wheadon says:

So shocked and sorry to hear this…. Will really miss bringing students to such a friendly and helpful flute shop. Thank you all for so many years of excellent advice and service.

• Laura says:

We need info please – you have a flute of ours that you were selling on my sons behalf. How do we get this back please

• Kenneth Hawkins says:

I am so sorry to learn of this. Unfortunately, I was once with an organization where our accountant embezzled very large sums of money and we had no idea. In any case, I wish you all the best. Ken Hawkins

• Such terrible news. I remember popping into Top Wind on several occasions when I first came to London about 16 years ago after graduating, such nice people and so knowledgeable. A very sad end. Wishing you the best for the future.

• Fionna says:

So very sorry; I’ve dropped in and taken advice from Andy and Patrick so many times. Thank you for all your help and I’ll really miss you.

• Pat Monro says:

Devastated to hear the news, you have been part of my flute playing life for longer than I care to remember

• Victoria Jefferson says:

Gutted this shop has folded. However, I’ve tried to contact them to arrange to get my Murumatsu flute back that they were selling for me. Heard nothing, but Matt (repairs) promises me he has forwarded my messages. Starting to wonder what my next steps should be……?

• Caroline says:

This is very sad. I used to drop in frequently, and had many a chat and cup of tea. This awful event at Top Wind may account for the difficulties I had retrieving my money for 3 student flutes they sold on my behalf a few years ago. They did eventually pay, but it took multiple emails, and stress on my part! I am massively relieved that I also decided to take back my very valuable gold flute (which they had had on their books to sell for 2 years), before the shop closed. What a crying shame…..

• Eli says:

Hi, I just found out about Top Wind closing (no notice by email or phone despite having my flute there for sale). Has anyone been able to get their flute back? Does anyone have any useful info?

• >