Six women receive huge opera grantsmain
Opera America has provided grants of up to $50,000 each to six women composers for previously commissioned works.
The recipients are:
. The Industry (Los Angeles, CA) for Sweet Land by Du Yun
· Lyric Opera of Chicago (Chicago, IL) for an untitled opera by Caroline Shaw
· Mill City Summer Opera (Minneapolis, MN) for Stone Arch: A Walking Opera by Mary Ellen Childs
· Opera Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) for Ten Days in a Madhouse by Rene Orth
· Opera Steamboat (Steamboat Springs, CO) for Cookie by Leanna Kirchoff
· Spoleto Festival USA (Charleston, SC) for an opera on the life of Omar Ibn Said (title TBD) by Rhiannon Giddens
Press release: The six grantees will receive up to 50 percent of the composer’s fee for a full production of a commissioned work, with awards of up to $50,000. Since its inception in 2014, the Opera Grants for Female Composers program has presented almost $1.1 million to opera companies and composers.