Death of a flute virtuoso, 73

The family have reported the death of Robert Stallman, a sought-after performer of contemporary American scores and an influential teacher at New England Conservatory.

Stallman, who was 73, premiered works by Harbison, Karel Husa and many others.

His wife, Hannah, writes:

It is with great sorrow that our family shares with you the sad news of Robert Stallman’s unexpected passing, yesterday, March 12. While our Bob has always had such deep inner aliveness, whatever the circumstances, it was difficult to know how ill he was…it seemed he would vibrate forever. He could even fool doctors. As his beloved mentor, Jean-Pierre Rampal, once said, in their joint NPR interview with John Rubenstein in 1984, Robert is “une force de la nature”.

• Heartbreaking. A wonderful man, teacher and flutist.

• Ann Szumanski says:

Dear Hannah, I am brokenhearted for you, your family and the world. Bob was “World Class” in so many ways. To say he will be missed is an understatement.

• Ross Amico says:

Very sorry to learn this. I will always remember him as cheerful, garrulous, and boundlessly enthusiastic. Often, he seemed almost boyish. He was certainly far younger than his years. His recording of Mozart “New Quintets” for Flute & Strings is superb. My thoughts are with Hannah. Lovely people.

• Tobey Levine says:

Hannah, my sincerest condolences on the loss of your dear Bob. I will miss seeing him on Monhegan and hearing the magnificent sounds he created. Peace be with all in this difficult time.

• Does anyone know the cause of death?

• Elaine Stephansky says:

I am so sad. We have enjoyed Robert’s playing so often at First Parish Church in Duxbury, and had hoped to hear him many more times. I’m so glad to own some of his recordings.

• Roger Cazden says:

He was a wonderful flutist and arranger. His great tone and musicality were inspiring! Condolences.

• >