English National Opera will stage four versions of the Orpheus myth next year, plus three more new productions.
– Choreographer Wayne McGregor will direct Gluck’s Orpheus and Eurydice (1762), with Dame Sarah Connolly and Sarah Tynan;
– Emma Rice directs Offenbach’s Orpheus in the Underworld (1858), with Sir Willard White as Jupiter and transgender baritone Lucia Lucas as Public Opinion, her first major UK role;
– ENO music director Martyn Brabbins brings back Birtwistle’s The Mask of Orpheus (1986), directed by ENO artistic director Daniel Kramer;
– Netia Jones will direct Philip Glass’s Orphée (1991);
– Barbora Horáková will direct Verdi’s Luisa Miller;
– Joe Hill-Gibbins directs Mozart’s Marriage of Figaro.
– German director Tatjana Gürbaca undertakes Dvorak’s Rusalka.