Among the tutti-frutti at this summer’s Edinburgh Festival, just rolled out:
– the Bach specialist Sir John Eliot Gardiner will conduct two concert performances of Bernstein’s West Side Story with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra and an unnamed cast;
– the European premiere of a new opera from Missy Mazzoli and Royce VavrekBreaking the Waves, adapted from Lars von Trier’s film;
– Barrie Kosky will direct a Komische Oper Berlin production of Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin;
– Harry Christophers CBE, with Genesis Sixteen and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, will give the world premiere of Sir James MacMillan’s Symphony No. 5 Le grand inconnu;
– and there will be a new production of Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring, choreographed by Yang Liping and designed by Tim Yip (of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).
Full prog here: eif.com.