Following the highly-flagged ENO initiative, Michael Volpe has been in touch with results from Opera Holland Park:
Here are some stats from our 2017 scheme
The average age of the children from the written responses were between 10-13 years old (50%). Roughly 10% were between 14 and 16. There were none under the age of 8.
• Most of the children heard about the scheme through their teacher (23.1%). The next biggest result was from the Royal Borough (17.3%). Other popular answers were: the OHP website, the OHP brochure and family members.
• 70.6% of the children had seen between 1-5 operas before. 21.6% had never been to the opera before.
• For 42% of attendees, it was the first time they had been to OHP
• 55.8% had been to the opera before on the scheme (so coming back!)
• 77.4% of the children found the whole experience & enjoyment factor to be “very enjoyable” (the highest rating)
• 98.1% of the children would visit a production of an opera again in any theatre
• Finally, 96% of the children felt like they understood the opera