Bayreuth’s new Flying Dutchman is a game of doctors and nurses

Bayreuth’s new Flying Dutchman is a game of doctors and nurses

main

norman lebrecht

August 01, 2018

First rehearsal shot from NHS ward Wagner:

Photo: Enrico Nawrath/ Bayreuther Festspiele

Comments

• Pedro says:

It is not new. I have seen it four years ago, superbly conducted by Thielemann.

• Caravaggio says:

Correct. Not a new production. The video lives on YouTube and is a testament to the overall ghastliness of it all. But it doesn’t end with the production. For instance, Merbeth as Senta is a non-event and reason enough to avoid this. She was the Senta again two evenings ago. The others were neither here nor there so nothing memorable about the effort. Thielemann alone could not/cannot save the show.

• Pedro says:

Yes. Macbeth was terrible and Nikitin was expelled after the first rehearsal because he had a swastika tatoo in his body.

• Martin says:

Norman Lebrecht, you are an embarassment to music journalism. The production is neither new, nor are there any nurses or doctors. Check your facts, know what you are writing about.

• mike says:

It came across to me as irony so I thought it was quite witty of Norman. I think you have fallen into an elephant trap.

• Petros Linardos says:

i always see Slipped Disc as a starting point for information. If something here seems interesting to me, I check elsewhere from the facts. The present posting reinforces my approach.

• Stephen says:

Why don’t you set up a rival to ‘Slipped Disc’ if you’re so smart?

• Player says:

Don’t be too hard on him. Poor old Norman is a hamster on a wheel in the dog days of August…

• Stephen says:

And what is your contribution to music journalism? How many books have you written?

• Player says:

Ah…

My point is that this is not an easy time of the year to ‘drive content’. Talking about an old Hollaender for no obvious reason (no news here) is a sad case in point.

Hope that is clear.

• Martin says:

bravo Stephrn, be the advocate of fake news, of gossip and cheap comments.

• Player says:

In fact, this is the OLDEST of Bayreuth’s current productions. It was new in, erm, 2012. Eight years ago.

Still no correction.