Just in: Boston Symphony and others throw out Charles Dutoitmain
The Boston Symphony Orchestra said last night that Charles Dutoit would ‘no longer appear as a guest conductor’ following sexual assault allegations by four women.
The New York Philharmonic said: ‘In the wake of the very serious allegations reported today about conductor Charles Dutoit, Mr. Dutoit informed the New York Philharmonic that he has withdrawn from conducting concerts for the New York Philharmonic scheduled for January 17 20, 2018. The New York Philharmonic remains committed to providing a professional and safe workplace, free of sexual harassment and all other forms of inappropriate conduct.’
The Chicago Symphony said: ‘In response to the allegations about conductor Charles Dutoit reported in the media today, Mr. Dutoit informed the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association (CSOA) that he has withdrawn from conducting concerts scheduled for March and April. The CSOA is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free from intimidation, coercion and harassment, including sexual harassment.
The Philadelphia Orchestra Association’s statement regarding Charles Dutoit pic.twitter.com/vRvYSbH4Az
— PhilOrch (@philorch) December 22, 2017
Dutoit had been planning a US tour to mark the anniversary of a historic tour by Maurice Ravel.
He has not made any official response to the allegations.
Other orchestra cancellations are coming in from the Sydney Symphony, San Francisco and more. He has withdrawn from Cleveland.
Not a word from Montreal.