At the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Professor Barry Ife is calling it quits at 69, it was announced today. He has been in the job for 12 years.
Not, perhaps, the most exhilarating period, according to the list of achievements enumerated in his press release:
· Realising the School’s long-held ambition to build additional facilities at Milton Court (opened September 2013), including state-of-the-art performance venues, rehearsal and teaching spaces.
· Leading the application that led to the Guildhall School being awarded Taught Degree-Awarding Powers, which were granted by the Privy Council in April 2014.
· Leading the Guildhall School to become the UK’s single largest provider of music education to under 18s by incorporating the Centre for Young Musicians (CYM) and creating new CYM music ‘hubs’ in Norfolk, Somerset and Saffron Walden.
· Recognition for Guildhall’s music outreach and opera programmes through two Queen’s Anniversary Prizes (2005 and 2007).
· Repositioning the School within the higher education sector.