Why do musicians beat themselves up?main
Some trenchant reflections from Dana Fonteneau:
Here’s the thing. 95% of what I hear when talking with other musicians, regardless of whether it’s in a personal or professional capacity, is negativity and criticism. Here’s a list of things I’ve heard in just the last three days.
- “We played a concert last week and it was terrible, I’m embarrassed to have my name in the program.”
- “I just played a performance, the audience LOVED it, but I know it sucked.”
- “I can’t BELIEVE so and so won that competition-he is so full of himself!
- “Did you hear so and so’s latest CD? It’s so careful and calculated. And WHAT is she WEARING on the cover photo?! GROSS!”
- “I went to my lesson and the teacher said I played beautifully, but I know it was full of the mistakes.”
It goes on and on.
So why do we do it? And how do we stop?
Read on here.