The pianist Katya Apekisheva has started a social-media ball rolling with a list of the ten composers or works of music that irritate her the most.
1. Vivaldi. Four seasons
2. Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals
4. About 85% of music by Liszt
6. Ending of Tchaikovsky piano trio ( around 8 last pages)
7. Neapolitan song ‘O Sole Mio’
8. Beethoven Fur Elise
9. Virtuoso violin music, such as Sarasate and Weniawsky
10. Brindisi from Traviata
*Actually the idea started withKatya’s friend, the violinist Roman Mints here.
1 National music
2 Tchaikovsky (except last 3 syms and violin concerto)
3 Anything with Moon in the title – any language – lune, mondo &c.
4 Mahler’s Adagietto except when played within the fifth symphony
5 Vivaldi’s you-know-what
7 Bernstein’s Mass
8 Anything by Puccini after Bohème
9 Elgar’s oratorios
10 Barber’s Adagio
First up, from harpsichordist Mahan Esfahani:
1. Pretty much everything by Phillip Glass;
2. Bernier, Monteclair, Boismortier, and those piddling French composers played by people who can’t handle Couperin or Rameau.
3. The second set of Handel’s keyboard suites. Oy.
4. The Vivaldi Gloria
5. Herbert Howells
6. The Mahler piano quartet.
7. Messiaen organ works; what a supreme waste of time.
8. Handel’s Dettingen Te Deum, after the first chorus
9. Anything involving the trumpet and organ in the sense of transcription
10. Beethoven’s Battle Symphony and Choral Fantasy – for a tie!