A cello student at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama was looking around one day, wondering what he could do with all these wonderful talented people he was meeting.
I know, he thought, let’s make a festival back home. Mostly local, some London pals.
Jonathan Bloxham is now 23 and Northern Chords is coming up for its third successful run.
More initiative like his is needed much higher up the scale.
Northern Chords Festival 2011
• Award-winning musicians presents North East chamber music festival Northern
Chords for the 3rd year running
• Pronounced “fresh and youthful”, the festival presents its most exciting programme yet
of up-and-coming artists performing a mixture of popular classics alongside rarely heard
• Featuring acclaimed artists such as BBC Radio 3 New Generation Artist Ben
Johnson, Sasha Grynyuk and local boy and founder Jonathan Bloxham this festival
promises to bring an international standard of music making to the North East
• With a special focus on local young musicians, we are also proud to be celebrating
both the 200th anniversaries of Liszt and principal sponsor Watson Burton.
• Tickets are available online at www.thesagegateshead.org and on 0191 443 4661.