Last woman left in Leeds finals

September 12, 2018 by norman lebrecht

The Leeds Piano Competition finalists are:

Aljoša Jurinić (Croatia, aged 29).

He will play Mozart Piano Concerto in C minor, K491 (Friday 14 September, 7pm)

Anna Geniushene (Russia, aged 27).

She will play Prokofiev Piano Concerto No.3 in C major, Op.26 (Friday 14 September, 7.50pm)

Mario Häring (Germany, aged 28)

He will play Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 1 in C major, Op. 15 (Friday 14 September, 9pm)

Xinyuan Wang (China, aged 23)

He will play Schumann Piano Concerto in A minor, Op.54 (Saturday 15 September, 7pm)

Eric Lu (USA, aged 20)

He will play Beethoven Piano Concerto No.4 in G minor, Op.58 (Saturday 15 September, 7.50pm)

1. Luigi Salvatore Antipasti says:

Yawn…… So much for the “innovative” list containing the likes of Bartok 3, Ravel and Rach 4. Not a chance I will be watching any of these.

1. La verita says:

Oh come on – nothing could be more innovative than to play the Beethoven 4th Concerto in G Minor!

1. Una says:

Especially if it is played like the Italian winner in 2012. It was outstanding and played with the phrasing of a good singer.

1. esfir ross says:

Not Eric Lu. I walk out of recital of this over-hyped mediocre pianist in San Francisco.

2. Cyril Blair says:

True. That would be an impressive trick.

3. Michael Mercer says:

Especially if on purpose. I’ve accidentally veered into g minor. And F# major/minor, and Ab major…

2. David Ford says:

What is the agenda behind that headline?

3. Christopher Storey says:

Sadly, the woman who was worthy of reaching the final , Tamila from Uzbekistan, has not done so . The defining quality of the one who has done so was that she could play Chopin’s Op.10 studies faster than I have ever heard it, and then,having reached the semifinal, crashed her way through Pictures at an Exhibition. Spare me…….

4. Christopher Storey says:

Sorry, I have got the wrong lady . The Russian woman who has reached the final really made no impression on me at all, either positive or negative

1. Richard Adams says:

For what it’s worth I thought she was excellent. Who did you like?

1. Christopher Storey says:

The 2 who made it into the last 10 that I thought worthy of doing so were Tamila Salimdjanova , and , with rather more reservations, Eric Lu . Of the 24 2nd round contestants who did not make it into the last 10 , I thought the outstanding one was Andrej Wierinski with Yuenfan Yang also an outstanding talent

5. Una says:

Man or woman? Who cares? Just make music as it was intended. No point havong quotas.

1. David says:

Exactly. I’m new on here, but I’ve detected a decided “Millenial” bias to the reporting.

6. Karl Luttinger says:

The Leeds Competition has seen self-praising publicity announcements, and less memorable piano playing. The event certainly hasn’t taken off. We can still hope for the finals.

7. Gaddi says:

Again with your “not enough women”?
    Is that really all you can talk about when it’s about a competition? No other aspects to talk about?

8. Anna says:

Really. Enough of the headlines about women. I am a woman and it gets tiring!

Also while we are speaking about “minorities in classical music”, I would like to point out that many of your headlines/stories about the true minorities in classical music, especially the black and Latino ones, tend to have a bit of a racist overtone to them. I’d say even more so the ones for black musicians than those for Latinos. Your stories about Asians do also often have a bit of a stereotype to them but not as blatant as the aforementioned ones.

I am not a conservative or a racial minority, but I do appreciate fairness in the news that I consume. Please look at the stuff you put out!