David Garrett extends his absence

June 6, 2018 by norman lebrecht

The German-American violinist who has been out for half a year with a herniated disc, won’t be back any time soon.

Here’s what his people say:

Dear fans,
Unfortunately, despite David’s very good health progress, he has to cancel more concerts because of his herniated disc.
His doctors insist, that he still has to take care of himself and they don’t allow him to play. This concerns the crossover concerts in June in Bucharest and Sofia, as well as the concerts with the Munich Philharmonic and the Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin. We deeply regret the news, but are happy to update you about the following changes.

Crossover – “Explosive Live!“-Tour
The crossover events in Bucharest and Sofia will be postponed to September.
Sofia, Arena Armeec, on 6th June will take place on 29th September.
Bucharest, Sala Palatului, on 8th June will take place on 13th September.
Bucharest, Sala Palatului, on 9th June will take place on 14th September.
Purchased tickets remain valid for the new concert dates.

Munich – Munich Philharmonic, conductor: Valery Gergiev
International star tenor Juan Diego Florez is confirmed as a soloist for the concert on 14th July.

Linz – Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin, conductor: Alondra de la Para
The concert “Klassik am Dom” on 16th July will be postponed for an indefinite period.

For more information on the concerts and alternative dates, please contact the respective organizers.

We continue to ask for your understanding and patience, that David can only perform, when he is completely recovered.
We apologize for your inconvenience.

Your
David Garrett Management

1. Doug says:

“Explosive Live!” ? Give me a break! BARF! Then again, maybe he was hoping for his herniated disc to explode live?

1. YS says:

The world will be the same without him. This may be the redponse for is arrogant behaviour, for his overrated achievement in music, for his pop star alike career with much too much attention, much too much money… Although having been taught in classical technique he only puts his feet on classical music, giving attention only to speed and his stardom

Perhaps this health issues will give him reason to come to normal life back again and to be modest and to decide classic or rock pop

1. MavisP says:

“Thank God we have Daniel Hope, Julian Rachlin and some wonderful female musicians on top of the violinists”

That’s an interesting proposition. Good luck to Daniel and Julian, I hope you both make the most of it.

2. MavisP says:

Herniated Disc? Surely that refers to his last recording. He’s suffering from a slipped disc (which incidentally is quite norm for the rest of us).

3. Robert Holmén says:

A bad back… that was what did in Eugene Fodor, I recall.

4. Linda says:

Y’all are cruel. Wishing a speedy recovery for David Garrett.

5. Three days I read the comment to this article, having got a friend who likes David Garrett. I felt a bit miffed because it sounds pretty much like this kind of musician’s arrogance I can’t stand. It’s like : “He’s done some pop music, he’s highly popular, he’s got a lof of silly fangirls – he must be a lousy musician.”
    I’ve heard him by now – and you know what? I felt touched by some of the things he played! I liked his Bruch violin concerto, I like what he does with Vivaldi’s Quattro stagioni and I certainly dont think he’s a lousy musician. I mean I won’t become a fangirl of his and I’m certainly not buying tickets for his next concerto because some of his stuff doesn’t interest me much. But I think he doesn’t deserve this mockery and this “oh, we’re so above him!”

6. Bella Belle says:

Where all your compassionate People?? David Garrett is not an ordinary violinist. He is very creative and innovative himself to be more musically creating music not to be forgotten! He is impeccable and I never see a violinist who work so hard! By the way, dg is highly intelligent. Music is his life and he gave us music to inspired us (people) and he makes sure that he gave it all himself. I don’t think you people understand he is a human being with feelings and I must say a kindhearted person. Don’t judge him by insulting his music or being the greatest violinist ever in this world. Each violinist have their own techniques! David Garrett have his distinctive style that are far from the rest. Oh yes! He is very handsome!!! There’s a quote that say “be kind to anyone, life is short” Anen to you all peace love and harmony

7. JB says:

I would be arrogant too if I had to put up with people with the above comments, etc. Wishing David a speedy recovery both physically and emotionally and praying that he has peaceful down time. Thx for your beautiful music!!!!

8. El Grillo says:

What is this with violinists and their…..
    Explosive?

You mean like Dylana Jenson who multiple times has tried to have me arrested, if I would simply be myself and friendly without pretentious reserve, or barred from places, or incapacitated from getting healthy food, and then recently, not recognizing this person I give out a drawing from a card I bought from the Museum in my city, and then when playing with two discarded bottles to make out they are an orchestra and singing something from Romeo, she says:
    I love you

And this guy with his banana fall and his violin to pieces….

ok

yeah sure

And I just recovered from knee surgery from trying to rest it on my chin NOT!