Genoa replaces Fabio Luisi on Paganini jury

February 19, 2018 by norman lebrecht

The city’s cultural bureaucracy has announced a new jury for the contest, after Fabio Luisi’s resgination.

It is chaired by a Russian violinist.

Here’s the list:

1 Sergei Krylov (Russia/Italy): violinist, 48, ‘one of the world’s most celebrated violinists’.

2  Dimitri Berlinsky (Russia/USA), 50, won the competition in 1985

3 Bin Huang (China), 47 winner in 1994

4 Heiner Madl (Austria), 52, violinist.

5 Svetlana Makarova (Russia/Switzerland), 37, violinist.

6 Daniel Smith (Australia), 36, conductor.

7 Anna Tifu (Italy), 32, violinist.

1. Bruce says:

Never heard of any of them.

1. BM says:

In case you live n London you might want to go down to the RFH on Feb 28 and hear for yourself:

2. Blue Skyes says:

So why don‘t they announce the winners at the same time?

3. Piotr Kotla says:

Svetlana Makarova is really a very bad violinist, she can’t even play 2 notes in tune, her violin sound is forte from the beginning of the piece till the end, absolutely no sense of musical phrasing. Her husband Pavel Vernikov helps her to get opportunities which otherwise she would never ever have any chance!

4. Karel Mark Chichon says:

I never write on such forums but on this occasion I feel I should.

Anyone who does not know Sergej Krylov should investigate a little before they pass judgement.

He is not only one of the world’s greatest violinists but also an honorable musician who will not play any dirty tricks as is being suggested.

In fact, Mr Luisi has worked with Mr Krylov and although I am quite sure Mr Luisi will not wish to enter into this debate for honorable reasons, he would be the first to vouch for what I am stating here in terms of the professional and human qualities of this violinist.

1. Fabio Luisi says:

Dear Karel, thank you. I do indeed like Sergej (Krylov) very much, he is not only a great violinist but also a honest and upright human being.

1. CK Lau says:

Both Maestro, Bravo!

2. Simon Scott says:

I agree 100%

5. Francesco says:

I never use to leave comments. But as graduated violinist, P.hd historian of music, and international Law student, I need to express all of my solidarity to all the engaged violinist for the competition.
    Krylov is a Violinist with no dubt. We could pass on Anna Tifu (I heard she in Genova with the Cannone recently – an acceptable Paganini virtuosism without much emotions – powerful and technically correct), but on Makarova……there are no words.
    Please. We should be honest, and I mean in the intellectual sense, there is no way that this year “Paganini’s graduate” could have the same honor of those in the past. It’s like comparing “the hot water and the pee”…