Watch: Schindler’s List leaves soloist in tears

January 27, 2018 by norman lebrecht

The violinist is Simone Lamsma.

The cor anglais Davida Scheffers.

1. Brinton Smith says:

She’s playing a fabulous Britten this week in Houston. I don’t ladle heavy praise as some commenters here do, but her Britten earns it – great playing and musicianship.

2. Tommy says:

Beautiful and moving indeed. I’ve visited this video many times. I sense that Davida Scheffers have a personal relation to these atrocities.

But Chloe Hanslip has the best performance I’ve ever heard of this music. I really like her expressive violin playing.

There is quite a difference between Lamsma’s more streamlined playing and Hanslip’s very romantic free approach. I wonder what Williams think?

(… and Perlman’s on YouTube the worst… ?)

1. Petros Linardos says:

Perhaps Davida Scheffers has a personal connection.

Regardless, the music is very moving, and the association with the Schindler’s List inevitable and overwhelming. I don’t know how anyone can watch that movie with a dry eye. I didn’t, and I am not Jewish.

3. Rodney Friend says:

There are some moist player’s eyes in this ‘Erbarme Dich’ by Quasthoff

4. Helene Kamioner says:

Todah rabbah Norman

5. Branimir says:

And in the meantime, Schindler’s list’s Oscar awarded producer Branko Lustig was engaged in Zagreb, Croatia in this project for the Holocaust remembrance day:
    (It’s in Croatian, but with some help of Google translator you’ll get the idea…)

6. william osborne says:

Thank you for posting this.

7. Vincent de Kort says:

Same hall
    Noa Wildschut, violin,
    Dorine Schoon, cor anglais

8. CornyAnglais says:

The tears are because this orchestra is made up of highly-skilled amateur musicians most of whom went to conservatory and had plans to be professionals, but somehow never made it; Davida suffers from an extremely painful neuromuscular condition that derailed her career, and she thought she would never get to play in a professional orchestra again. That, combined with this particular piece of music, elicited the emotional response we all saw here. (The also-emotional blonde woman they kept panning to in the audience is Davida’s daughter).

1. norman lebrecht says: