Hello, Maestro. Give us a kiss.

December 2, 2017 by norman lebrecht

Thierry Vagne has revived his microsite of maestros meeting maestros.

A kind of Tinder for top dogs.

More here. Much fun.

1. Olassus says:

It needs captions, an index, and some control for the viewer.

1. Steve P says:

A caption contest sounds fun! But each picture I clicked on did have captions (some incomplete), so not sure what you are missing.

2. Bruce says:

The Barenboim/Celibidache photos separated by ~30 (or more?) years are pretty cool.

1. Sixtus says:

Given the location, probably a promo shot for a Proms season in which they were all performing.

2. Max Grimm says:

I assume it’s suppose to be a spin on a segment of the “I can’t dance” music-video by Genesis.
      (seen on a CD cover here – https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41MQBihSfzL.jpg )

3. SDG says:

There is a famous photograph, which I don’t see reproduced here, taken on the occasion of Toscanini’s visit to Berlin with the La Scala company in 1929, of T with Berlin’s 4 musical directors at the time, Klemperer, Furtwangler, Erich Kleiber and Bruno Walter.

1. Olassus says:

Klemperer was taller than Furtwängler? I didn’t know that.

1. SDG says:

This was intended to be a response to Bruce’s post but, yes, Klemperer was notoriously tall.

1. Sue says:

And there are also pictures missing of Carlos Kleiber with HvK:

1. Tristan says:

the two K’s – by the far the greatest I have ever heard as Toscanini and Furtwaengler were already dead….now you have mediocrity like Barenboim, Mehta, Welser-Moest, Rattle etc – still, there is Kirill Petrenko and Thielemann

1. SDG says:

I don’t attend full symphony concerts much these days, but who are the 2 Ks you refer to?

When i did I was generally disappointed in Karajan’s live performances, but Klemperer’s were illustrative of the conductor’s art, moment by moment adjustment of the pace and balance by nothing other than the conductor’s gestures.

But do you mean other Ks? C Kleiber?

4. The View From America says:

No photo to commemorate the event, alas, but an amusing encounter is when the conductor Paul Paray, having witnessed a concert where a Schumann symphony had been presented in one of those “doctored” scores that heavies-up the orchestration in the stereotypical Teutonic way, remarked to the conductor afterward, “Nice piece. Who wrote it?”

5. Gerhard says:

“… where a Schumann symphony had been presented in one of those “doctored” scores that heavies-up the orchestration in the stereotypical Teutonic way”
    Could you please explain about what exactly you are talking here? I seriously have no clue, and I would be interested to know. Thanks!

1. Gerhard says:

This should have been directed at “The View from America” above.

1. Gerhard says:

Thanks for the link. Sorry to say that it hasn’t shed much light for me. So you are referring to the Mahler adaptions in your anecdote? Anyhow, it is probably not of much importance.