You asked for Protopopov? You got him

September 22, 2017 by norman lebrecht

Several readers sought amplification of this recent post on silenced Soviet composers.

1. Robert Holmén says:

Khachaturian? He was “denounced” and then “rehabilitated” in less than a year. Little injury to his career and the denunciation was a plus to western observers.

1. Larry says:

Any relation to the Russian Olympic ice skating champions, “The Protopopovs,” a husband and wife team?

1. The composer Protopopov (Sergei) came well before the husband and wife skating team (Oleg and Ludmila). That would make him the Proto-Protopopov.

2. John Borstlap says:

He might be related to the early attempts at revolutionary pop music in the twenties (proto = first, pop = pop, ov = butt of a priest).

2. John Borstlap says:

A beautiful work…. a bit Scriabinesque, without Scriabine’s particular fingerprints but with a comparable harmonic language. You can also hear how it was to live in Russia at the time: dark menal clouds, chilling emotional mists, anxiety syndrome, very nervous tics in the right hand and the secret police around the corner.

3. Peter Owen says:

There was an avant gardist Russian composer called (Gavriil) Popov. That Protopopov came before him is one of the worst jokes I’ve ever told.

1. David Osborne says:

Excellent work Peter, and I sincerely hope so…

4. Jean says:

I’ve had this score since 2004, or so, and I have been a fan of the composer ever since. But the score wins my technical abilities…

5. David Osborne says:

Good piece (if a little angry), but I must say the score has made me realise that carrying accidentals through to the end of the bar is a really good idea.