‘I’m too tired to sing Aida’

July 17, 2017 by norman lebrecht

Sondra Radvanovsky has pulled out of Aida at Chorégies d’Orange for reasons of ‘extreme physical fatigue’.

They don’t have a replacement.

Anyone fancy a shot at it? Anyone free August 2 and 5?

1. Martain Smith says:

Maybe Anna might want to swing between Salzburg and France….

2. Ungeheuer says:

And we are too tired of her stiff, straightjacketed, predictable, boring singing.

1. Michael Black says:

I saw her recent run of Normas in Chicago recently and not one performances was stiff, straightjacketed, predictable or boring.

2. Yet Another David says:

Nomen ist Omen, Ungeheuer.

1. Nik says:

Yes, but what is straightjacketed?

3. Marshall says:

This is exactly what I mean-why I suspected from the tone that you were not to be taken seriously. After a couple of times, I think others realize that.

3. Marylea van Daaen says:

Radvanovsky is a remarkable singer who has had a grueling schedule.
    She deserves to be tired and is smart to know when she needs to back off.

1. Bill Worley says:

I agree she is a remarkable singer but she and her agent should discuss her schedule before contracts are signed. Then she may not be so tired and would be in a position to sing and not disappoint the audience.

4. AMetFan says:

What looks reasonable and doable on paper four or five years in advance doesn’t always translate into reality when the time comes. Voices change, bodies change, the demands of individual engagements are variable, etc. Give Sondra a break. A tempermental Angela G. (whom I have admired greatly as a artist) she ain’t. Like Radvanovsky’s voice or not, she works hard and has achieved a great deal.

5. Terry van Vliet says:

Has the tiresome Herr Ungeheurer ever got anything nice to say about anyone or anything? I saw Radvanovsky in “Tosca” last May and she was brilliant both dramatically and vocally.

Who, by the way, are the “we” to whom he refers?

6. Florian says:

Her Amelia last Saturday did not sound tired at all….