Trump picks Sound of Music fan as Austria ambassador

February 13, 2017 by norman lebrecht

This is not an alternative fact.

Patrick Park, a businessman friend of Donald J Trump, has seen The Sound of Music 75 times.

He has been told by the president that he’s to be the next US ambassador to Austria.

‘I’m flying to Vienna to check out the embassy, and then I’m going to Salzburg to see if the Von Trapp house is for rent,’ Park said. ‘And then I’m going to learn to like schnitzel and sachertorte.’

photo: PalmBeach Daily News

1. Evan Bowers says:

I know many singers, artists, movie lovers who love Zachertorte and Schnitzel.
    They are already more qualified for this position. Some have even already met a Von Trapp!

1. Bryen Von Trapp says:

Exactly.seen SoM over 100 times.Met Julie Andrews.Von Trapp Villa is a Music School.Im more qualified for the job.Bryen von Trapp.Vermont.

2. Pianofortissimo says:

Puting the right people in the right place… 🙂

3. Alexander says:

I have no idea who could that gentleman be, but I love The Sound of Music too…. Julie Andrews was impeccable there , not to speak of those lovely songs and the whole concept of the film ….

1. John Borstlap says:

Nice satire…!

1. Alexander says:

thank you for your compliment John, actually it wasn’t satire, I just wanted to be nice to people 😉

1. Maria says:

You’re in the wrong place then.

1. David Osborne says:

Oh, Maria I’m shocked. How could you possibly think that?

2. Sue says:

How do you solve the problem of Maria?

2. John Borstlap says:

You are very generous…. as Julie was to the Trapps. So, the movie has worked.

4. Halldor says:

Awful to think of these vulgar hard-right populists being sent to a nation as civilised as Austria, where vulgar hard-right populism is so universally abhorred…oh…

1. Cubs Fan says:

Before you all start bashing the guy just because he’s a friend of Trump, maybe you should enlighten yourselves…

Yes, he’s quite wealthy, and has no experience…but then this is quite common in US politics and ambassador positions. And parts of Austria, my favorite European destination, are quite civilized and beautiful, but it has its own share of rednecks, racists, homophobes and else. It was after all the breeding ground of one Herr Hitler.

1. Patrick Park says:

I’m a Cubs fan too! Thank you for your kind words and allowing others to view a little about me. Yes I’m not a politician but have experience in business and dealing with people and I want to do something for our great country and President. It’s a honor to serve. I can tell you are a fair minded person. Go Cubs, Patrick Park

2. Mr Oakmountain says:

Well, the majority of Austrians DID vote for the green/left presidential candidate; not for the “freedom party” candidate.

3. Sue says:

You mean the country which brought you Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, Strauss, Mahler and Berg? Where Beethoven and Brahms lived?

I see the problem.

5. Ruben Greenberg says:

Seeing “The Sound of Music” 75 times is truly a remarkable achievement. I don’t understand how anybody could stand seeing it even once.

1. David Osborne says:

I played in the pit for 25 performances and survived.

1. David Osborne says:

Perhaps I quite like the idea of a musical that carries so many positive messages but more likely it was because the girl that played Liesl in this particular production was really hot.

1. Ruben Greenberg says:

Yes. But you were paid!

1. David Osborne says:

Yes and it could be much worse. I know someone who did a three year run of Phantom of the Opera. Or Cats. Are they different?

1. NYMike says:

Three years?? There are NY musicians who’ve been playing Phantom since its debut 25 years ago.

6. Mr Oakmountain says:

Fun fact: Hardly anyone in Austria knows “The Sound of Music”.
    I actually imported the film in the 90s from the UK and showed it to incredulous Austrian students so that they’d know where the English speaking world gets their image of Austria from. For all the lovely – American – music, it is hilarious to watch for an Austrian; not because of the content, but because the film makers mixed and matched locations all over the place and put them together as they saw fit. It’s the equivalent of watching a film of someone driving past Big Ben, across Tower Bridge (instead of Parliament Bridge) and reaching Windsor Castle at the other end.
    The first Austrian staging of the Musical, as far as I know, was in 2005 at the Volksoper, conducted by US conductor Erich Kunzel.

1. paukenschlager oder timbalist says:

Let’s be clear.. Kunzel is a ‘pops conductor.’ :>))

1. mr oakmountain says:

… and he made an excellent job of it to, as far as I am told by family and friends who attended a performance.

7. V.Lind says:

He’ll pick a Brigadoon fan if Scotland goes indy.

1. David Osborne says:

I think we might be reading too much into this. I have a feeling Trump might be under the impression he’s sending this guy to the land of the kangaroo…

1. John Borstlap says:

I’m sure that mr T-Rex thinks that Austria must like the movie, he must have seen it himself, so this man is best because he must be an expert on the country. That is why such choices are so revealing. Soon we will see an ambassador being sent down through the rabbit hole to represent the USA at the Queen of Hearts.

2. Max Grimm says:

I guess that leaves David Hasselhoff as ambassador to Germany (god knows America quite successfully pawned him off on us before

8. Ruben Greenberg says:

The man should read Arthur Schnitzler instead of gobbling down schnitzels and watching the embarrassing “Sound of Music”. It would give him greater insight into the neurotic Austrian soul.

1. Pianofortissimo says:

I would rather recommend Robert Musil.

9. Steve P says:

Who cares? Political hacks get to hang out in foreign countries while real work is done behind he scenes. And Austria? When were they last relevant-WW1???? Heck, send Hillary over there – she ain’t busy

10. Graeme Kay says:

Learning German might come in handy too…

1. Ruben Greenberg says:

His boss -Trump, I think his name is-has said that he doesn’t approve of foreign languages.

1. John Borstlap says:

‘Foreign languages should be prohibited and where inavoidable, super-vetted’. Where foreign languages sport extremist overtones, they will be deported to Guantamo Bay.

11. John Borstlap says:

People who love the Sound of Music don’ love music, but only the sound it makes.

1. David Osborne says: